Pregnancy and Birth

Common Symptoms Of Pregnancy And How To Deal With Them

If you’re reading this, you will probably have already experienced some of these symptoms of pregnancy and are wondering how to deal with them.  We can’t promise to have all the answers, but we do have some tips to make coping with them easier.

Morning sickness

If you are one of the 30% of women who don’t get morning sickness during pregnancy, lucky you! The other 70% will experience nausea, queasiness or vomiting at some point, usually in the first 3 months. Ginger is helpful for settling the stomach and beating nausea so start the day with a ginger biscuit or some crystallised ginger. If you are experiencing severe morning sickness well into the day, you may be suffering from Hyperemesis Gravidarum so be sure to have this checked out with your doctor.

Sore breasts

It’s quite common for your breasts to feel tender during pregnancy. This is due to hormonal changes to your breast tissue as they prepare for breastfeeding. Many women will also go up a cup size or two, which is great for some, but not so good for those already generously ‘blessed’! Invest in some good pregnancy bras with plenty of support and apply moisturiser regularly to help prevent stretch marks in this area.


Going from the first trimester when you can’t keep your eyes open, to the later months when you can’t sleep, can be frustrating.  This, again, is due to pregnancy hormones, difficulty getting comfortable, and also baby kicking your bladder at 3am! A good pregnancy pillow can help you to sleep comfortably, especially in the third trimester. Also try taking regular exercise and switching off electronic devices a couple of hours before bedtime. Take a book to read once you’re settled in bed. After a few pages, you are sure to feel your eyes getting heavier.


The most common of the many symptoms of pregnancy and the bane of many women’s lives! This is usually caused by pressure on your stomach from your growing bump.  Because your baby is taking up more room inside you, your internal organs can be pushed upwards.  This can interfere with your digestion, resulting in heartburn, acid reflux and general discomfort. Try eating lighter meals and finish eating at least an hour before bed. Reduce spicy, fatty foods and anything acidic. You could also take a milky drink before bed which helps reduce stomach acid. To avoid acid reflux, elevate your upper body with some extra pillows. Antacids can also help but read instructions carefully to be sure they are safe for use during pregnancy.


It’s not all negative stuff. There are some positive symptoms of pregnancy too, especially as you move into the second trimester. Your hair thickens, nails grow, your skin becomes clearer and your eyes brighten so you get that ‘blooming’ look. Not to mention the overwhelming feelings of emotion when you first see your baby at your scan. Make sure to enjoy all the ‘pros’ while coping with the ‘cons’ on your journey to Motherhood.

Read next: 7 Tips To Help You Sleep Well

Want to read this later? Pin it here:

Pregnancy Symptoms
Translate »